Ask Your Surrey Dentist – What Foods Cause Chipped Teeth?
Chipped teeth can be treated by your Surrey dentist with solutions like dental veneers and dental bonding. Most people assume that chipped teeth occur because of trauma like sports accidents, falls, and vehicle accidents. Diet is another leading cause of chipped teeth treated by Surrey dentists.
Some foods, particularly those that are unusually hard, can cause chipped and cracked teeth. Here are the most common foods that you should avoid to maintain a perfect smile.
Your Surrey Dentist Recommends Avoiding or Limiting These Foods
While some dietary choices aren’t great for your overall health, some specific choices are particularly bad for your dental health.
- Popcorn – Popcorn itself is problematic because fragments of the popped kernels can get stuck between teeth, increasing the risk of bacteria and cavities. When it comes to chipped teeth, unpopped kernels can cause cracks and breakages if you aren’t careful. Chew carefully and lightly when you enjoy popcorn. This will ensure that you detect any unpopped kernels before they do damage.
- Nuts – You probably recognize nuts as being a healthy food choice. Rich in protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals, nuts are an essential aspect of a healthy diet. But, you do need to be careful not to overdo things. Enjoy nuts in moderation because they can erode the edges of teeth and lead to chips and breakages. Never try to crack nuts in their shells using your teeth. If you chip a tooth, call the best dentist in Surrey for emergency dental care.
- Seeds – Like nuts, seeds can be included in moderation for a healthy diet, but they are hard and can wear teeth down and eventually cause chips. Don’t bite seeds with the shells still on.
- Bones – Bones can be found in everything from fried chicken to BBQ ribs. While leaving the bones in during cooking can be practical and may even help to enhance flavor, they become dangerous when they come into contact with teeth. Avoid biting meat directly from the bone and never chew on bones.
- Hard Sweets and Candies – Your Surrey dentist will tell you that sugar is the enemy of good oral health. Hard sugary treats are also dangerous because they can cause chips and breakages. Skip the hard candy if you want to keep your teeth in the best condition. Kids are more likely to damage their teeth on candy. You can book treatment with the best emergency dentist for kids.
- Hard Bread – Hard bread like croutons and other hard baked goods like biscotti can crack teeth if you don’t bite slowly and carefully. If you want to enjoy this type of food safely, dunk biscotti in coffee or another hot beverage to soften it before chewing. Hard bread can be softened with spreads like warm butter or vinaigrette.
You don’t have to completely eliminate the above foods from your diet. The best dentist in Surrey can provide more guidance on food choices that are right for your teeth. Enjoy everything in moderation, be careful to bite and chew carefully when hard foods are involved, and limit hard sweets and candies to only the occasional treat.
When Should You Call an Emergency Dentist in Vancouver?
Your emergency dentist in Vancouver can provide treatment if you chip or crack your tooth.
Call your emergency dentist in Vancouver as soon as you notice the damage. The sooner you get treatment, the better the outcome will be. Your emergency dentist in Vancouver is uniquely skilled to treat concerns related to chips, cracks, and other types of tooth damage.
If you aren’t aware of damage to a tooth but experience sudden and sharp pain after eating, you should still call your emergency dentist in Vancouver for treatment. Some damage might not be immediately noticeable. Your emergency dentist in Vancouver can visually assess your teeth as well as perform scans to identify any problems.
A Trusted Emergency Dentist for Kids
Kids are more likely to damage their teeth from physical trauma. Particularly active kids, or kids that play sports, can visit our emergency dentist for Kids in Surrey.
You can trust the team at Nordel Crossing Dental Centre when you need an emergency dentist for kids. Our team is experienced with younger patients and will ensure that your child feels comfortable while receiving emergency treatment.
Call an emergency dentist for kids if your child has had a tooth knocked out, has chipped a tooth, or cracked a tooth. With an experienced emergency dentist for kids, you’ll be confident knowing that the treatment will help to support the development of your child’s smile.
Book an Appointment with the Best Dentist in Surrey
When you want the best dentist in Surrey, you can visit the team at Nordel Crossing Dental Centre. With the best dentist in Surrey, you’ll get individualized care based on your unique needs. The best dentist in Surrey can perform tooth restorations for chips and cracks at an affordable price. The treatment outcome will be both aesthetic and functional for a beautiful and healthy smile.
Book your appointment with your local Surrey dentist for chipped teeth and any of your other dental concerns.